mercredi 12 mai 2010

Article 3: The lack of knowledge about special need diseases



On my first day a camper was having a seizure and nobody was able to restrain him, instead they were restraining him dangerously and not at all as they should do, I looked at the scene absolutely scandalized… This was probably the first time I was so impressed by the lack of knowledge counselors have, I came by and asked if I could try something. I picked up the camper using the right behavior described in any “special need care book” and I calmed him down. We walked around without a problem and it was only my first day….

During the rest of the session I clearly noticed the lack of knowledge counselors had about special need kids… When I talked about the seizures on my first meeting with the staff of my village everyone was staring at me like I was teaching them a math lecture. Even a returner of Camp Kysoc was staring at me as if I was teaching him how to go to the moon with a simple match…. And he was a so called “returner”.

2 commentaires:

  1. from WebMD: To the observer, the person experiencing such a seizure may cry out or make some sound, stiffen for some seconds, then have rhythmic movements of the arms and legs. Often the rhythmic movements slow before.stopping

    From the Foundation for Better Healthcare: What to do is someone is having a seizure

    Roll the person on his or her side to prevent choking on any fluids or vomit.
    Cushion the person’s head.
    Loosen any tight clothing around the neck.
    Keep the person’s airway open. If necessary, grip the person’s jaw gently and tilt his or her head back.
    -----Do NOT restrict the person from moving unless he or she is in danger.
    Do NOT put anything into the person’s mouth, not even medicine or liquid. These can cause choking or damage to the person’s jaw, tongue, or teeth. Contrary to widespread belief, people cannot swallow their tongues during a seizure or any other time.
    Remove any sharp or solid objects that the person might hit during the seizure.
    Note how long the seizure lasts and what symptoms occurred so you can tell a doctor or emergency personnel if necessary.
    Stay with the person until the seizure ends.


    My brother has Epilepsy -- he his prone to having seizures, and Ive seen him having seizures on many many occasions. Ive come home to my little brother lying completely limp in bed, where it looks like he is dead, and it just turns out it was a seizure. We NEVER had a seizure at KYSOC. At least not while I was there, and not in our village. If you want to talk bad about KYSOC, thats all on you, but please don't go saying things that you don't know about. KYSOC changed the lives of every kid and every staffer there, including the ones who drank (only on weekends, when kids weren't there, and NEVER when kids were around), and including the ones who had a "lack of knowledge about special need diseases."

    My brother has grown up with Spina Bifida, he can't walk without the use of a walker, and even then can't do so for long. He has several learning disabilities, and he has epilepsy. He is 13 now, was 11 at the time of KYSOC. I know how to take care of seizures, i have a vast knowledge of special needs diseases, and Ive worked with middle schoolers and high schoolers with everything from Autism to Downs Syndrome, Cerebal Palsy to Blindness.

    KYSOC was my life. And continued to be my life for two years after i left. It wasn't until earlier this month that i found a way to move on past KYSOC. But even with that, i didn't have to bash it, or make it out to be the worst camp on Earth. I found a way to remember KYSOC always, but not to let it determine the outcome of my life. KYSOC was a beautiful place. And it was infectious in that it would crawl up in your brain and make you want nothing but it. And if thats the worst thing about that camp, then I made a good decision two years ago when I signed up to work there, and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. You should never restrain someone who is having a seizure! What is this website? It is very strange and gives bad and incorrect information. Camp Kysoc hasn't even been open for a number of years now!

    RépondreSupprimer