mercredi 12 mai 2010

Article 4: lack of camper supervision



This article does concern a small minority of the counselors on camp only. During camp sessions I had noticed that some counselors, a minority were not taking good care of their campers. Their unfriendly feeling was obvious but I DON’T say it was everyone!

It happened many times during two weeks that some of them spent chatting on the fishing bridge while their campers were hunting for worms inside of the forest with their fishing hook on one hand. Going down of steep and of course no counselors, they were by their own or examining the water on their own. They were so far that nobody could have done anything if an accident would have happened…

Counselors spent their time just doing nothing while their campers were walking or running with a sharp hook on their hand and playing with it…

Another example was the tractor ride called the “Hayride” it was an occasion for counselors to sleep… Yes I know sleepin in the tractor is not the best bed Isn’t it? But it did happen a lot of times probably among 80% of the counselors and the worst was that during this time the campers were by their own on the trailer, if a camper would stand up and fall next to the wheel or anything like this, trust me the counselors wouldn’t be able to do anything about it! And I think that no counselors would say to you, “It is not true I never slept during the Hayride.”

An other example, one day while playing american football with my group of kids I realised that one kid from the other group of my village was missing this group was supervised by Graham ( English ) and Steven ( American ). I asked them where the kid was.

" I have no idea " was their answer.

I went to the toilet and found him half an hour after he was missing, he had been left alone in the toilets, the automatic light was off and the worse was that this kid was autistic... When I came he was crying and dirty in fact he had defecated on himself... I had to clean it...

When I reported this to the camp Director the only thing he did was to check the door... But the problem had nothing to see with the doors but the conselors who left this kid alone....

Do you imagine, forgetting during half an hour a kid alone in the toilets when the lights are turned off.... Someone doing that in Camp Anne would have been fired directly for neglect but not in Kysoc....

Once again, does that sound safe to you?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire